The strawberry is a bright red fruit that is native to Europe. This fruit is distinguished by its sweet flavor, juicy texture, and unique smell. Strawberries are available in fresh, frozen, and dried forms.It is also available as jelly, syrup, and jam, and if you buy strawberry Frozen or dried, make sure it is devoid of added sugars to get the most benefit. Strawberries may be used to make drinks, juices, sweets, and salad dressings. It goes well with milk, breakfast, and oats.
benefits of Strawberry
Strawberry contains a group of important compounds and nutrients that give the body many health benefits, and among the benefits of strawberry we mention the following:
- It can maintain the health of the heart and blood vessels and reduce the risk of various heart diseases. This is done by improving cholesterol and fat levels in the blood, improving platelet function, in addition to preventing inflammation and oxidative stress within the body.
- It can help prevent metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes by helping slow down the digestion of glucose and reduce the rise in sugar and insulin levels after eating a carbohydrate-rich meal.
- It can help prevent some types of cancer because it has a range of properties that reduce oxidative stress, inflammation, and the growth of cancerous tumors.
- Its high content of antioxidants helps prevent the formation of harmful blood clots that lead to stroke, and its potassium content reduces the risk of these strokes.
- Eating foods rich in water and fiber, such as strawberries, contributes to maintaining body moisture, regular bowel movements, and increasing stool volume, which helps prevent constipation.
- It is a good source of folic acid, which is one of the B vitamins necessary for normal cell function and tissue growth, and this acid is especially important for pregnant women and the elderly.
- It contains good amounts of manganese, copper, magnesium, phosphorous, vitamin K, and vitamin E, which are essential elements for the body.
- It is a rich source of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant necessary to maintain a healthy immune system and skin.
- The dietary fiber found in fruits such as strawberries nourishes the good bacteria in the intestines and improves the health of the digestive system. It also helps in losing weight, and can contribute to the prevention of many diseases.
- Strawberry helps to improve skin health by containing alpha-hydroxy acid, which is an important substance that helps get rid of dead skin cells and cleanses the skin. It also helps stall the signs of ageing (wrinkles, sagging skin, fine lines, etc.).
- Strawberries are high in vitamin C, a substance that aids iron absorption and stimulates hair growth. It has also been shown that a lack of this vitamin might result in split ends. The vitamin C in strawberries can also be used to treat dandruff.
Side effects of strawberry
Eating strawberries is generally safe, but like all other foods, it can cause a range of problems in certain groups of people, and the following points show some of the problems that strawberry consumption can cause:
- It can cause a range of digestive disorders, including diarrhea, abdominal pain, and cramps, and these symptoms can be avoided by eating no more than one cup a day.
- It can cause an allergic reaction, and strawberry allergy is uncommon, and it often also appears in people who are allergic to grapes and cherries. Strawberry allergy can cause a variety of symptoms, including:
- Skin rash.
- itching of the skin; redness, blueness, or pallor of the skin.
- Swelling, especially around the mouth and tongue.
- Difficulty speaking and swallowing.
- Strawberries are one of the fruits that contain the most pesticide residues, so it is recommended to buy organic strawberries to ensure that the risk of exposure to pesticides is reduced.
- Consuming potassium sources in high amounts can cause problems in people whose kidneys are not fully functioning, and may cause death if the kidneys are unable to remove excess potassium from the blood.
Read also : coconut milk : benefits and sides effects