Tiny but mighty! the surprising benefits of saffron .Saffron is one of the aromatic plants, as it is in the form of a yellow dye that is placed on the food to give it a good flavor. Saffron is produced by drying the stigmas of saffron flowers and part of the stems in the shade. It does not lose its value.Since about 4000 flowers can produce 30 grams of saffron, it is very expensive. Saffron has a pleasant and fragrant smell, but its taste is bitter. It is used as a flavoring for food or as a coloring of sweets. It is also used as a flavoring substance in Arabic coffee.
There are many benefits of saffron that you may not know. Saffron is one of the most important spices used in the Arab world. It also has many medical benefits that we will learn about in the next article.
Medicinal uses of saffron.
- Saffron is used as an herbal remedy to expel wind from the stomach, cramps, and flatulence.
- It is used in the treatment of respiratory infections and some disorders such as colds, coughs, smallpox, gout, and scarlet fever, in addition to eye disorders.
- Saffron can help women with menstrual discomfort and uterine haemorrhage.
- It promotes blood circulation, decreases blood pressure, and is good for the spleen, heart, and liver, as well as being antispasmodic in the intestines and nerves because of its content of copper, potassium, manganese, iron, zinc, and magnesium.
- Saffron is also utilized in the production of medicines intended to eliminate worms from the intestines, as well as psychotropic and sedative medications.
- It has an effective role in the fight against cancer due to its content of active substances and strong antioxidants, and it is believed that the carotenoids it contains may work to kill certain types of cancer cells.
- Asthma patients always suffer from shortness of breath, so taking saffron may contribute to the expansion of the bronchi in an asthmatic patient, which makes the breathing process easier.
- Also, saffron oil relieves pain and cramps and is healthy for the gums and teeth.
However, studies have shown that consuming it on a regular basis causes headaches and numbness of the senses.
Other uses of saffron
Saffron is also used in cosmetics, nutritional supplements, and as an antidepressant. It is also used in eyeliner to treat cloudy eyes.Although it can be fatal in large doses, 20 grams of it is considered dangerous to humans if consumed all at once.
Saffron in the treatment of insomnia
Saffron has long been used as a calmative, antidepressant, and anti-inflammatory. Saffron contributes to a sense of relaxation and calms the nerves, which contributes to the treatment of insomnia and sleep disorders thanks to its potassium content and some substances with sedative properties, so add a little of it to a cup of hot milk and drink it before bedtime to obtain this benefit.
Read also : ?what are the health benefits of Mint