Popcorn is one of the entertainments that many people prefer to eat while watching television or movies, and many children prefer to eat it in amusement parks . Popcorn has many benefits as well as disadvantages.
Health benefits of Popcorn
- Good source of minerals and vitamins:
Popcorn contains good amounts of a group of minerals necessary for the proper functioning of the body, including manganese, phosphorous, magnesium, zinc, iron, copper, and potassium, in addition to a group of vitamins, including vitamin B3, vitamin B6, and vitamin 1.
- fiber-rich source:
Popcorn contains very high amounts of fiber which has many benefits. Popcorn contains very high amounts of fiber with many benefits that help promote the movement and health of the digestive system and reduce the risk of many diseases, such as diabetes and heart disease.
- Rich source of antioxidants:
Such as polyphenols, and they are concentrated in particular in the cortex, which help to get rid of free radicals from the body, which are linked to the risk of many diseases.
- Weight loss:
Popcorn is a low-calorie food and a rich source of fiber, and adding it to the daily diet contributes to enhancing the feeling of satiety, which leads to consuming less food and thus reducing weight.
Side effects of Popcorn
- The way popcorn is prepared greatly affects its nutritional quality, and commercially prepared popcorn can be very high in calories and unhealthy ingredients. Large amounts of sugar, salt, artificial flavors, and high-fat cheeses can also be added to it. To avoid this, popcorn can be prepared at home using healthy ingredients such as olive oil, coconut oil, spices, and natural herbs.
- It may contain non-hydrogenated oils. Many types of microwave popcorn are made using hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.
Tips for preparing Popcorn in a healthy way
Some practices can turn popcorn from a healthy snack into an unhealthy, high-calorie meal high in sugar, butter, oil, and artificial sweeteners, or even some chemicals, which will negatively affect health and increase the risk of chronic diseases. The following Some tips for a healthy snack of popcorn
- Use the hot air popcorn method; the heat alone is enough to make popcorn.
- If you want to use it, choose the oil to be used carefully. Virgin olive oil, walnut oil, and avocado oil are the best options.
- Reduce the use of butter. It is recommended to use small quantities that do not exceed two to a maximum of three teaspoons.
- Use healthy flavorings, such as spices, hot sauce, a pinch of balsamic vinegar, or a small pinch of salt.
Also read : ?Why is soy milk the perfect choice