What are the benefits of juniper berries? The juniper berries, scientific name Junipers communes L., are widely used as an ornamental tree, and they resemble small cone-shaped berry fruits, and their color varies between blue, red, and black-purple. Juniper berries can be consumed as a dried fruit, and they are also used to add flavor to some pickled foods and to various other foods. It also uses the oil extracted from it, which is produced by steam distillation of dried, powdered, or even fermented berries.
It is worth noting that it is possible to take advantage of the other parts of the juniper berry by using the branches of the plant to extract the essential oil from them by distillation process to produce perfume and as an insect repellent.
What are the benefits of juniper berries?
The Juniper berry plant is used to solve many problems that the body can face, such as:
- Juniper berries act as a tonic for many vital body systems, including the digestive system, which makes them useful for treating indigestion.
- It relieves heartburn symptoms and may help relieve intestinal gas and bloating. It also helps treat gastrointestinal infections.
- Juniper oil helps maintain the proper function of the digestive system as it helps to ensure the proper flow of stomach acid, in addition to the flow of bile, which helps to balance the pH of the gastric environment and make it neutral.
- This will reduce the severity of snakebite pain.
- It contributes to the elimination of intestinal worms.
- It has antibacterial activity, which is why it is used as a topical antiseptic to treat wounds.
- It may contribute to the treatment of some skin problems, such as eczema and acne.
- It improves blood circulation, which may help rid the blood of toxins and harmful substances.
- It promotes sweating, which contributes to ridding the body of excess fluids and salts.
- It has a stimulant effect on the brain, which relieves the symptoms of dizziness, fatigue, and depression.
Possible side effects of juniper berries
After learning about the benefits of juniper berries for the stomach and other body functions, and although it is relatively safe when consumed in small quantities, it causes some side effects when consumed in abundance, and these damages include the following:
- It may cause inflammatory skin reactions in some individuals, such as irritation, redness, swelling of the skin, and a burning feeling.
- It may cause allergic reactions in some people.
- Avoid taking juniper by mouth in large quantities or for a very long period, because it may cause kidney problems, epileptic seizures, and other dangerous effects.
- Juniper should not be used by people with diabetes, as it lowers blood sugar.
- You should consult your doctor when using the juniper plant to relieve stomach disorders, because this plant may cause irritation to the intestines and thus may worsen the situation in some cases.
- Avoid using it if you are a patient with pressure. Juniper plant may affect blood pressure levels in the body and can make it very difficult to control.
- To avoid hypoglycemia, all patients who consume juniper should stop using it before any surgery for a period of at least two weeks.
Also read : The Top 8 Amazing Benefits of Jeera Water