Top 6 heartburn-fighting foods…Heartburn is one of the most common digestive disorders in the world, and it causes unpleasant symptoms for sufferers as a result of stomach acid refluxing into the esophagus, which leads to a feeling of pain and burning in the lower chest area.
To avoid heartburn, you must follow a healthy diet that is alkaline and free of foods that relax the esophageal muscle.
Top 6 heartburn-fighting foods:
- Bananas are classified as an alkaline fruit that helps neutralize the acidic environment of the stomach as they contribute in the case of gastric acid reflux to the esophagus to form a covering for the lining of the esophagus. In addition, their high content of soluble fiber known as pectin helps facilitate digestion in the stomach faster, which reduces the level of acid production,
- Watermelon: As it helps balance acidity in the digestive system, it is a rich source of magnesium, which is often considered one of the components of medicines used to relieve stomach acidity. One of the best types of watermelon that helps relieve stomach acidity problems is cantaloupe and honeydew melon.
- Oats contain a high percentage of fiber, which helps relieve hyperacidity in the stomach and also plays a role in maintaining bowel movement and facilitating digestion in the stomach. This fiber also reduces the desire to overeat by providing a feeling of fullness for a long time, thus reducing the level of stomach acid production.
- Yogurt has a soothing effect on the stomach and is useful for the digestive system as it contains a high percentage of probiotics, or what are known as “good bacteria,” which are naturally found in the digestive system, and it also enhances the body’s immunity.
- Chamomile tea: It is recommended to use chamomile tea as an alternative to green and black tea, which are sources of caffeine and, therefore, should be avoided in cases of acidity in the stomach. It has also a calming effect that reduces the level of tension and stress.
- Honey: It is noteworthy that honey is useful in cases of stomach acidity. In particular, Manuka honey contains enzymes that help facilitate digestion. Therefore, some sweeteners, including honey, can be added to oats when following a diet that helps reduce stomach acidity.
- Vegetables help reduce stomach acid because they are natural sources that are low in fat and sugar. Examples of the best choices are green beans, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, leafy greens, cucumbers, and potatoes too.
- Milk: The effect of milk in reducing stomach acidity varies according to its fat content, which may exacerbate stomach acidity, such as whole milk. In contrast, consuming free or low-fat milk helps to relieve immediate and temporary acidity as it constitutes a pH regulating factor between the stomach membrane and its acids, and low-fat milk contains a number of good bacteria that improve the digestion process.
- Low fat meat: It is recommended to choose low-fat grilled, boiled, or baked meat instead of high-fat fried meat, which may lead to an increased risk of heartburn, as it reduces the pressure of the lower esophageal sphincter muscle, and thus delays emptying the stomach of food.
- Egg whites are excellent options for treating heartburn , but avoid eating egg yolks because they are rich in fats that stimulate the development of acidity symptoms.